In these pages Dr Joel Beeke provides us with a first-class tour of some of the great sites of Reformed theology and spirituality. Here we meet John Calvin, reformer extraordinaire; then we encounter the learned Dr William Ames and the insightful Anthony Burgess.
Soon we have traveled north to meet the Scotsmen John Brown of Haddington, the great Thomas Boston and the remarkable brothers, Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine.
Predictably, but happily our guide brings us to The Netherlands and to the time of the Nadere Reformatie, before taking us back to the New World in the company of the remarkable Theodorus Jacobus Freylinghuysen.
But the climax of this tour is not reached until our trusted guide has brought us to the family roots from which all these theologians and pastors came — to the strong foundations of Christian living in justification by faith and sanctification in life, nourished by the power of biblical preaching. Puritan Reformed Spirituality is a tour de force! I hope it will be widely read and enjoyed. – Sinclair B. Ferguson
Table of Contents:
- Calvin on Piety
- Making Sense of Calvin’s Paradoxes on Assurance of Faith
- John Calvin: Teacher and Practitioner of Evangelism
- The Puritan Practice of Meditation
- The Didactic Use of the Law
- The Learned Dr. William Ames and The Marrow of Theology
- Evangelism Rooted in Scripture: The Puritan Example
- Anthony Burgess on Assurance
- The Life and Writings of John Brown of Haddington
- The Life and Theology of Thomas Boston
- The Lives of Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine: Dissenters with a Cause
- Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine: Preachers with a Message of Promise
- Assurance of Faith: A Comparison of English Puritanism and the Nadere Reformatie
- Willem Teellinck and The Path of True Godliness
- The Life and Theology of Herman Witsius
- Theodorus Jacobus Frelinghuysen: Precursor of the Great Awakening
- Justification by Faith Alone: The Relation of Faith to Justification
- Cultivating Holiness
- The Lasting Power of Reformed Experiential Preaching
Joel R. Beeke (PhD, Westminster Seminary) is president and professor of systematic theology and homiletics at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary; a pastor of the Heritage Reformed Congregation in Grand Rapids, Michigan; editor of Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth; editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books; and a prolific author.
- Weight: 1.4 lb
- Publisher: Evangelical Press
- Pages: 474
- Binding: Paperback